As part of the New Hampshire Department of Education Licensure requirements, students enrolled in an educator preparation program leading to certification must meet the Basic Academic Skills Assessment (BASA) in reading, writing, and math. Here are some options for meeting the Basic Academic Skills Assessment (BASA) requirement:
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Reading, Mathematics, and Writing);
- Other states’ basic skills testing for educators (state dependent, additional tests may be required);
- Performance at or above a predetermined score (set by the NHDOE) on a nationally recognized test in the areas of reading, writing, and/or mathematics such as, but not limited to, the SAT, GRE, or ACT. Submit the Test Evaluation Request directly to the NHDOE, as outlined below.
- Hold a New Hampshire Beginning Educator or Experienced Educator License. Please visit the NHDOE Knowledge Base for more information on this option.
Praxis Core: Test Evaluation Request
To use scores from other exams, candidates must create a New Hampshire Educator Information Systems (EIS) account and submit the scores online.
Visit the NH DOE credentialing help desk and follow the directions for submitting a test evaluation request. Most students will start at step 1. Video explanation for creating the EIS account and submitting SAT, GRE or ACT scores. If the test evaluation is approved, please send to the Holmes Center.
Praxis Core Academic Skills test:
The Praxis Core Academic Skills test is administered electronically by Educational Testing Services at various locations throughout the country. To learn more about where the Praxis Core is administered, visit the ETS Website or the F.A.Q. Scores must be sent to Plymouth State University. To register, please visit the E.T.S. website.
ETS provides accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-Related Needs. Please visit ETS to learn more.
Praxis Core retake policy: ” To retake a test, you must wait at least 28 days after your previous test date. For example, if you take a test on the first of the month, you cannot take it again until the 29th day of the month. This applies even if you canceled your scores on your previous test. Failure to follow this policy will result in the cancellation of scores from your retest. For the full retake policy, see The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin (PDF).
Praxis Core Resources
- Math Activities Center will help students prepare for the Praxis Core Math. Please visit the website to set up an appointment. Here is the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Khan Academy has a new site for the Praxis Core Preparation.
- Praxis Core Reading (5713) preparation materials and study companion.
- Praxis Core Writing (5723) preparation materials and study companion.
- Praxis Core Mathematics (5733) preparation materials and study companion
Praxis Core Fee Waivers
ETS provides Praxis Core fee waivers for eligible students. Directions and Eligibility requirements for the Fee Waivers. You’ll need to submit the Fee Wavier request, Student Aid Report and Enrollment Verification certificate to ETS.
Access a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) via your FAFSA.gov account. You may also visit the Plymouth State Financial Aid office to request help in obtaining this document.
The Enrollment Verification Certificate is available in the Self-Service section of myplymouth.
Praxis Core: Massachusetts licensure
The Massachusetts Department of Education requires the MTEL and currently does not accept the Praxis tests. If you are planning to apply for licensure in Massachusetts, consider following these steps:
- Complete the Communication and Literacy Skills test. This test meets the Reading and Writing Basic Academic Skills requirement.
- Submit the passing scores to the NH DOE following the test evaluation request steps.
- Pass Praxis Core Math test or submit a test evaluation request for Math using the process outlined above.
- For future planning, the NH DOE currently accepts the equivalent MTEL for most Praxis 2 content tests.