International Student (F-1) Employment

As an F-1 student visa holder, you are eligible to work on-campus, with certain restrictions. (F-1 student visa holders are not allowed to work OFF campus; this is considered a violation of visa status.)  During regular school terms, you are allowed to work no more than 20 hours per week.  During vacation periods or irregular terms (winterim), you may work 40 or more hours per week.  Should you wish to work on campus, you will need to find employment.  There are several departments and offices that hire “student hourly” workers.  These include, but are not limited to, Athletics, Residential Life, the Lam Learning Commons, Physical Plant, Sodexo Dining Services, the Hartman Union Building (HUB), and various academic departments.  Once you have secured a job, you will need to complete a Student Work Authorization Form and a Foreign National Information Form and return these to staff in the Center for Global Engagement (Jane Bjerklie-Barry 535-3372).  From there, you will be required to complete both a W-4 and I-9 form with staff in the Global Education Office (Jessie Debow 535-2336). (These forms may be found on the PSU Human Resources webpage.) These forms need to be completed in order to get paid.  Once these forms are on file, you will apply for a Social Security card; the Social Security office in Concord, NH has to process your application (PSU provides transportation once a term to this office).  The International Student On-Campus Employment Guide gives step by step instruction on the campus employment process.