Instructions for Packing and Moving
- Every item to be moved must be labeled with coded label with proper
information on each. The label should have the faculty or staff members name and the
building and room # of the location they are being delivered to.
- Place labels on each item of furniture as illustrated on the labeling
- All boxes should be labeled on the side in the upper right hand
corner, not on the top because boxes will be moved in stacks and labels on the top will be
hidden from view.
DESKS & FILE CABINETS
- The content of desks must be removed and boxed with label’s. This is
because desks will have to be turned on their side to get thru doorways, to go up stairs,
or into elevators. Place small items such as pens, paper clips, etc. in envelopes and pack
- Typewriter stands which attach to desks must be removed and labeled
separately from desks, using same code as desk they go with.
- Glass tops on desks should be labeled separately.
- Empty the contents of all lateral/horizontal files
due to weight and size.
- Standard vertical file cabinets will be moved with contents intact.
Move pressure plates forward in drawers to hold contents securely.
- All file cabinets should be left unlocked and their key kept separately, or
wrap masking tape thickly around the key locks so they do not get pushed in and locked
accidentally during moving.
- Contents should be removed and packed.
- If the book cases have moveable shelves these must be removed and
wrapped with tape or string and labeled separately. Shelf clips should be bagged so they
are not lost in move.
- Computer components if not boxed all together need to be labeled so
they go back together when they reach their destination.
If you want the movers to locate heavy furniture in special locations
upon reaching their final destination, please make a rough layout of office/room
indicating where furniture is to go. This should be placed on office door for movers