To what graduate schools should I apply?

The answer to this question depends on your career goals. There are several career options for psychologists, including clinical (therapist of some sort), applied (industrial/organizational) and experimental. Of course, some of our majors continue their education in other areas (see above). If you are interested in furthering your education in psychology but are not interested in working in a clinical setting you should look for an experimental or applied graduate program.

  • Experimental. These programs generally prepare you for a career in higher education, which involves teaching, conducting research and advising students.
  • Applied. Applied fields include areas such as industrial and organizational psychology (I-O psych.). The focus of industrial and organizational psychology is on human resource research in employee selection, training, related aspects of individual differences and organizational behavior..
  • Clinical. Many people think the only way to be a therapist is to get a Ph.D. in clinical psychology. This is only one option. It is the most difficult option and, for many students, it is unrealistic. In fact, it is easier to get into medical school than it is to get into a clinical Ph.D. program. To become a therapist, a better option might be: masters in social work (M.S.W.), masters in counseling psychology, or a Psy.D. program.