Travel Advance


Employees traveling out-of-state on official university system related business and/or in-state for a period in excess of one business day may receive a travel advance to cover reasonable out-of-pocket business expenses to be incurred in the course of their travel.  Advances will not be granted for airline tickets, lodging, or conference fees – items that should be secured through the p-card process.  Advances are to be used for incidental business expenses that cannot be readily or most economically assumed by university system issued cards.   All advance requests should be documented by estimates of anticipated expenses and submitted on standardized institutional forms.

Advances should be based on and limited to reasonable job related expenses expected to be incurred by the employee. After the trip all travel expenses must be substantiated with appropriate supporting documentation (original receipts) on an itemized PSU Travel Expense Voucher according to USNH and campus policy and procedures. In the case of business meals, the date, place, amount, applicable itemized receipts, names of persons accompanying employee, and business purpose must be documented (please see section on per diem meals). Employees are required to return to the employer (campus travel manager), within 10 days, any amount advanced that is in excess of the substantiated expenses. Employees failing to return unused USNH advances and/or proper substantiation within 10 business days will be subject to payroll deduction after adequate written reminders have been given to the employee. Employees with outstanding advances are not eligible to receive additional advances for other business purposes.

Travelers are encouraged to use their travel p-card or personal bank charge card to reduce the need for an advance. Generally hotel bills and deposits necessary to hold reservations should be paid by the PSU travel p-card or a personal charge card. Conference registration fees should be prepaid by a Banner Direct Pay document or p-card. If it is not possible to use a charge card, a USNH check should be issued to the vendor to avoid the need for an advance. Requests for advances must be approved by the responsible dean/director/department head using standard institutional forms. Advances are processed through the campus travel manager at least 48 hours before the check is needed. However, advances are not generally released earlier than two business days prior to the date needed. Advances are not intended to pay pre-departure expenses and will not be available for that purpose.


The travel advance form is to request an advance for university related out-of-state travel expenses. It enables you to receive money for ground travel, parking fees, meals, and miscellaneous out of pocket expenses. Please complete the form, submit it to your department head for approval and signature, and then send it to the travel manager for processing at least 48 hours before you will need the advance.

Reminder: Expenses that are payable in advance, such as registrations and ticket purchases, should be processed via the corporate p-card or through Accounts Payable on the proper documents with all necessary backup documentation.

  • List name, campus address and campus extension.
  • Purpose of travel: this explanation includes the following information:
    • Inclusive dates of trip
    • Business purpose of trip
    • Destination
    • Itemized list of estimate costs

Travel ticket purchases are to be made via a travel p-card or personal credit card.

We do not generally give advances for in-state travel unless the trip is more than 150 miles away and/or you are staying overnight. Mileage expenses are reimbursed after the trip.

If a check is needed well in advance of the trip, please indicate why, and the date on which the check is needed. The check will otherwise be issued one week prior to the trip.

  • Department(s) and name of account(s) to be charged for expenses. This requires the department chairperson’s signature. Department chairs will require the signature of the PA in their area for an advance.
  • Travel manager approval: indicates no outstanding travel advance with office.
  • Amount: how much was approved by the department chairperson.
  • Signature of recipient: This is required at the time you pick up the check in person . Please note that only the traveler may sign for and pick up the advance, as it is a financial commitment by that traveler.

Travel advances must be cleared within 10 days of last date of trip*. USNH requires two written notifications of tardiness for reconciling the advance.

  1. 1st – on the 11th day of the advance due date.
  2. 2nd – two weeks from that date.

*If the advance is not cleared at this point, it will be subject to payroll deduction on the following pay period. Once it is payroll deducted, an individual must claim expenses on their personal IRS reporting form at the end of the year.