Catalog and Academic Policies

Academic CatalogsPoliciesResidency InformationVeteran Education BenefitsTransfer Information
Academic Advising
Credit Hour Policy
Credit by Examination
Student Requests

Following is general information on the requirements for reclassification to in-state tuition status at Plymouth State University. This information is based on the residency rules of the University System of New Hampshire and is intended as an aid to those considering an application for reclassification. It is not a complete statement of the system residency regulations, and in any issue of interpretation, only the official residency regulations apply. The complete rules may be consulted at the office of the residency officer.

If after considering this information you have questions regarding residency, please contact the residency officer at the address below. An application form is at the bottom of this page. The deadline for consideration for reclassification effective Fall semester is July 1, for Spring semester is December 1 and for Summer semester is April 1.

Residency Officer
Office of the Registrar
Speare 1st Floor
Plymouth State University
Plymouth, NH 03264

A change in residency status could result in a change in your financial aid award, specifically your merit award. Please contact the PSU Financial Aid Team should you have any questions regarding possible adjustments to your award.

For Dependent Students

A dependent student is one supported wholly or in part by his or her parents or legal guardian. The domicile (a person’s true, fixed and permanent home) of a dependent student is considered to be the domicile of his or her father and mother provided both are living or in the case of legally separated or divorced parents, either a parent with legal custody or a parent providing more than one-half of total financial support.

To be considered a New Hampshire resident for tuition purposes, a dependent student must be domiciled in New Hampshire and his or her parent or legal guardian must be domiciled in New Hampshire. To be domiciled in New Hampshire, a person must have established permanent residency in the state for at least twelve months prior to the semester for which reclassification is sought.

Some of the evidence that may be required to prove a New Hampshire domicile are:

  • Residence of parent and student reported on federal or state tax forms
  • Registration of parent’s and student’s automobiles
  • State issuing parent’s and student’s driver’s license
  • Voting residence of parent and student
  • Payment of tax levied by the state or locality on persons domiciled therein
  • Proof of date that permanent residency was established in NH

Note that it is not sufficient for a dependent student simply to acquire a New Hampshire driver’s license or register to vote in the state. Nor is it sufficient for the parent or legal guardian to own property in New Hampshire. For a dependent student to be considered for reclassification, the domicile of the student and the parent or legal guardian must be New Hampshire and permanent residency must have begun at least twelve months before the term for which reclassification is sought.

For Independent Students

To be considered independent (or emancipated), a student must meet several tests. The most significant are lack of financial support by the parents or legal guardian, failure of the parent to claim the person as a dependent on her or his income tax return, and establishment by the student of a domicile separate and apart from that of the parents.

The system rules stipulate that no one is eligible for in-state tuition unless she or he established that her or his residence in New Hampshire is for some purpose other than obtaining an education. Thus, a student claiming to be independent has the burden of proving both domicile in New Hampshire for some purpose other than obtaining an education and of financial independence. She or he will be asked to submit for herself or himself the same sort of evidence listed above for dependent students, as well as evidence that she or he is not longer financially dependent on parents and was not claimed as a dependent on the parent’s federal income tax return.

Further, if an independent student has been enrolled at Plymouth State as a matriculated (degree-seeking) student, he or she may not be reclassified to in-state while remaining continuously matriculated. Such a student must withdraw from the university and may not attend as a matriculated student for a period of twelve consecutive months. During that year, he or she may attend PSU as a part-time continuing education student only. At the end of the year, the student must apply for readmission in order to resume status as a matriculated student.

A change in residency status could result in a change in your financial aid award, specifically your merit award. Please contact the PSU Financial Aid Team should you have any questions regarding possible adjustments to your award.

Your Residency Application and your supporting documents will only be accepted via mail or in person.  Due to the sensitive nature of the information contained therein, please do not email your application or your supporting documents.  If you need notary services, please call ahead (603-535-2345) and make an appointment to ensure a notary will be available.

In cooperation with the US Department of Veterans Affairs and the US Department of Defense, Plymouth State University participates in numerous Veterans Educational Benefits programs. Students who are eligible for Veterans benefits as determined by the Veterans Administration must contact Registrar’s Office at the time of application. Applications for Veterans Educational Benefits may be obtained directly from the Veterans Administration. A copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is required for verification and certification. Once you receive your COE, submit a copy to the Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office. Your military experience may be applied to college credit ultimately reducing the amount of time it may take you to complete your undergraduate degree. Please arrange for your military transcripts to be sent to Plymouth State University Office of Admissions as noted below.

The Registrar’s Office Veteran’s Certifying Official accepts paperwork to assist students in receiving their VA education benefits.  Enrollment certifications are completed by this office and reported to the appropriate VA regional office (Buffalo, NY).  We are approved to accept veterans educational benefits, participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, and abide by the Principles of Excellence.

New Students
Transfer Students
VA Vocational Rehabilitation Students

Yellow Ribbon Program

Plymouth State University has agreed to provide Yellow Ribbon Program contributions for undergraduate and graduate level participants during the academic year.  Please see the Registrar’s Office for details.

Please be aware that any change in enrollment may affect your benefit and payment.  We are required to notify the VA of these changes.

Resources and Support for Veterans and Students Using Veterans Educational Benefits
Department Contacts
Undergraduate Students
Graduate Students