There are many local, statewide, national, and international social work organizations that students can become involved with. The list is too lengthy to list here but there are a few key organizations all students should be familiar with and which will be referred to in classes. Our students are currently members, representatives, and/or presenters at most of the associations described below.
- Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) is a national association that preserves and enhances the quality of social work education for practice which promotes the goals of individual and community well-being and social justice. CSWE pursues this mission through setting and maintaining policy and program standards, accrediting bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in social work, promoting research and faculty development, and advocating for social work education. PSU’s social work department is accredited through CSWE.
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW) is the largest membership organization of professional social workers in the world with nearly 150,000 members. NASW works to enhance the professional growth and development of its members, to create and maintain professional standards, and to advance sound social policies.
- New Hampshire Chapter, NASW is the statewide organization member of the national NASW. NH NASW is made up of a number of committees such as the Diversity Awareness Committee, Children’s Issues Committee, and the Social and Legislative Action Committee. Its mission is “dedicated to serving the needs of its individual members and groups of members. We strive to link identifiable collectives of members with special interests and needs; gather information about specialties; and deliver frontline services to meet our members’ diverse needs” (http://nhnasw.org).
- New Hampshire School Social Work Association (NHSSWA) is a statewide organization member of the national School Social Work Association of America (SSWAA). It is a professional organization of school social workers working in public and private schools throughout the United States of America.
- International Association of Social Work with Groups is an international professional organization of group workers, social workers who facilitate groups, and social work educators who support and advocate for continued emphasis on group work training, education, research, and practice.