PSU’s official mission statement as New Hampshire’s public regional comprehensive university, approved by the Board of Trustees, reads:
Plymouth State University serves the state of New Hampshire and New England by providing well-educated graduates; by offering ongoing opportunities for graduate education and professional development; and by extending to communities partnership opportunities for cultural enrichment and economic development. In each of these roles, Plymouth State University has a special commitment of service to the North Country and Lakes Region of New Hampshire.
Mission is an active verb. In distinguishing itself, PSU also has a working mission statement:
Plymouth State University distinguishes itself as a vibrant public university engaged in innovative teaching and research and enhancing the wellbeing of the region through dynamic partnerships for cultural enrichment and economic development.
Plymouth State University will be the university of choice for talented students who want high-quality, high impact liberal arts and professional programs that prepare students to succeed in the global arena and professional world. Plymouth State provides:
- Academic excellence where students work closely with faculty mentors, receiving a personalized education that includes opportunities for hands-on, experiential learning inside and outside of the class;
- Research, scholarship, and creativity in which faculty and graduate students involve undergraduate students in solving real-world problems and engaging in outreach;
- Enriched character-building and transformational experiences on the residential campus, as well as increased use of technology in all coursework and through delivery that enhances access and high-impact learning for students;
- A variety of master’s degree programs and selected professional doctorates;
- A culture of service and engagement where organizations, communities, and institutions are eager to form productive partnerships, enabling PSU to do good work and provide experiential opportunities for students.