CURRENT STUDENTS – please go to our SharePoint page on your myPlymouth for information.
What is the purpose of my academic advisor? You will be assigned an academic advisor when you are accepted to Plymouth State University. You can find out who your advisor is by logging into your myPlymouth under academic information. You and your advisor should get to know each other. Call, e-mail and/or stop by your advisor’s office frequently. Your advisor will assist you in mapping out your semester schedule as well as creating your “Four-year plan.” In addition, you and your advisor will discuss your major, career and life goals.
Student Advising Responsibilities
- Recognize personal responsibility for continuous evaluation of progress toward the objectives set by the University and the ultimate responsibility for all academic choices.
- Formulate social and academic goals in order to optimize life and career choices.
- Become acquainted with the resources at PSU that can increase the likelihood of academic success and help with definition of long-term goals. These include Plymouth Academic Support Services (PASS), Office of Undergraduate Studies, the Academic & Career Advising Center, the Writing Center and the academic advisor.
- Become familiar with academic policies, procedures, and requirements by studying the Academic Catalog and the Student Handbook .
- Know the graduation requirements for the chosen program in order to monitor progress toward completion of the degree.
- Maintain accurate and current academic records, such as add/drop transactions, transfer credit evaluations, student request copies, and correspondence from beginning to completion of the degree program.
- Initiate regular contact with the advisor.
- Prepare in advance for every meeting with the academic advisor and bring to each meeting the necessary supporting materials such as tentative schedules.
- Follow through on the evaluation of transfer credit from other colleges and universities to assure that transfer credit is applied correctly to PSU degree requirements and on the students’ PSU transcript.