Here are some strategies that can help!
- Write notes in the margins.
- Ask yourself these questions:
- Who is the author writing to?
- What is the author’s purpose?
- Write a summary after every two or three paragraphs.
- Keep a dictionary by your side while you read and use it to look up words you aren’t sure of.
- Realize that all texts are trying to change your view of something.
- Answer the following:
- Before I read this, the author assumed I believed …
- After I finished reading, the author wanted me to believe …
- The author was/was not successful in changing my view. How so? Why or why not?
For additional advice, see this helpful website: