The Basic Criteria for an opportunity to be considered as an internship:
- The proposed experience must be relevant to the student’s discipline and provide a learning experience enhancing the knowledge, skills and attitudes gained from classroom learning. It must not simply advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
- The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
- There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
- There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
- There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
Employer Site Approval:
All off campus partner sites and projects must be approved prior to student engagement. If the desired partner or project is not already approved and sanctioned by Plymouth State University, the student must get approval by the sponsoring on campus office to engage in the proposed project/work. The appropriate university office must contact the organization at least one week prior to the anticipated start date to complete the approval process. The following criteria must be met and documented for approval.
1. The partnering organization and project must support the Plymouth State University mission and sanctioned university curriculum.
2. The partnering organization must provide a safe working environment for students.
3. The partnering organization must recognize student work as an extension of university education and experience.
4. The partnering organization must abide by all State of NH Department of Labor laws
5. Unpaid Internships must meet Federal Requirements: