Exploring Today’s Challenges—Reaping Tomorrow’s Opportunities
The COVID-19 pandemic presents organizations and policymakers with unprecedented challenges, yet the time may be ideal for promoting New Hampshire to foreign businesses.
The 2020 New Hampshire Globalization Report
This new report features research and analysis by Plymouth State Business Professors Roxana Wright and Chen Wu, building on 2018 and 2019 PSU studies concerning foreign direct investment (FDI).
“The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic makes networking, communication, and strategic thinking more crucial than ever for investment promotion professionals, economic developers, and international business researchers. The 2020 report reveals new areas of business opportunity and an evaluation of foreign firms’ activities in the state within the context of rising challenges to globalization before and during the pandemic. It sheds light on the future of foreign direct investment and opportunities for enhanced statewide development.” — Professor Roxana Wright
COVID-19 and Foreign Firms’ Activities in NH: Resilience and Regionalization (Online Webinar)
Tuesday, January 19, 2021
FDI experts and economic development specialists discussed their vision on New Hampshire Foreign Direct Investment (FDI), foreign business activities, and trade in a free webinar co-sponsored by Plymouth State University and the New Hampshire Department of Business and Economic Affairs (BEA).
The Agenda included:
- Plymouth State University President Donald Birx reviewed the importance of interdisciplinary and integrative solutions to business and economic challenges.
- BEA Commissioner Taylor Caswell discussed shaping a post-COVID New Hampshire economy.
- An interactive session covered the following topics:
- An overview of FDI and international trade, including the sharing of the latest data and trends (featuring research from Plymouth State University Professors Roxana Wright and Chen Wu)
- Impact of COVID-19 on business resilience (featuring experiences and insights of successful New Hampshire businesses)
- Opportunities and FDI strategies to assist with the post-pandemic economic recovery in New Hampshire, including business recruitment and export support programs such as the State Trade Expansion Program (STEP) funding (featuring BEA programs and opportunities)
- Q & A with presenters.
“We brought participants together in a virtual exchange to share perspectives on aspects of FDI, integrating general knowledge and global and regional trends into a holistic understanding of how global investments impact local economies. Our descriptive and predictive research was presented along with a focus on New Hampshire, leading to broader discussions on FDI, trade development, and building business resilience.” — Professor Chen Wu